Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day 1








Well, ended up getting to Flint Bishop Airport around 12:30 p.m. after Chase dropped me off. Once I got there, found out that our flight to Atlanta was cancelled due to bad weather in North Carolina. As a result, me, Michelle Karayanis, Desiree Sharland, Krystal DeSpain, and Angela Passarelli took a shuttle to Detroit Metro Airport where we got a flight to Amsterdam. The trip took us about 7 ½ hours and I thought I was going to lose my stomach a couple times, but we eventually ended up landing and all was well.

Once we got into Amsterdam, we were transferred to Czech Airlines for our flight to Prague (or Praha as they spell it). The early group (9:30 AM) was me, Teddy, Desiree, Jordan Tiffany, and Desmond. I was so exhausted by the time we got on that plane that I nodded off and basically slept through the entire trip. It wasn’t until we reached Prague that I woke up. Luckily, I was feeling better when the plane landed.

The stay in Prague was relatively short. We arrived around 11 AM and had to board by 11:45. During the wait I ended up chatting with Chase for a little bit. Checked the grades for this semester as well and…ALL A’s!!! Excitement.

Frankly, I was a little nervous about getting onto the plane to Krakow…it looked a bit old and crappy. It was a red and white plane with old-fashioned propellers. However, it ended up getting us there safely, so I’m completely fine.

Currently, I am sitting here in my hotel room with Desiree in the Kosmopolita hotel. It’s interesting to say the least. We have two beds, one wardrobe closet, two side tables with reading lamps, a pathetically small television, a desk and a coat hanger. The bathroom is by far the most interesting. The toilet is ridiculously close to the sink (I don’t know how people use that thing without running into the sink!) and the sink faucet is opposite…hot on the right and cold on the left. Despite how drastically different it is from an American hotel (including the lights that tend to randomly go off at will as well as the small elevator that has a -1 floor compared to a basement level), I’m glad to have the experience. Everything is so different!

The city is also quite exciting. I saw a lot of old architecture. The major downfall, however, is that it is visibly dirtier compared to the United States (at least in the suburbs). The roads are under construction so there is a lot of dirt and broken concrete. It’s also common on occasion to smell something similar to feces, though not entirely prevalent. I can’t help but observe the people to see what kind of fashion sense they have. It’s really quite similar to what one would see in a European film. Very simple and women are not wearing heavy makeup compared to American women…which is a bit relieving to see natural faces.

The dinner we had at U Babci Maliny was also very good. I had beetroot soup (which was really refreshing…a red soup with a sweet, vinegar taste to it…quite similar to a wine-smoothness), actual pierogies (which do beat the cheap frozen American brand any day of the week), mushrooms (delicious!), and broccoli. The cheesecake was quite different. Unlike the frozen block of fat we tend to eat at home…the stuff was temperature hot and really very light. After eating dinner I didn’t feel the same bloated fullness that I experience after going out to eat in America.

The people walking around at night certainly beat the deadness we have in Flint! However, I do miss home already.


No comments:

Post a Comment